Parish Churches of Comrie and Dundurn – Church of Scotland
We seek to follow Jesus Christ to share the Gospel and to bring the knowledge of God’s love to all.
These pages are designed to provide parishioners and visitors alike with information on our church. It will provide information on who to contact, church services, events and notices.
In 1879 the foundation stone of the new Free Church was laid and in 1925 the two United Free Churches of Scotland were united. In 1929 the Established Church of Scotland and the United Free Church of Scotland were re-united and Comrie Parish Church was renamed Comrie Old Parish Church.
The merging of Comrie Old Parish Church and St Kessogs Parish Church took place on 2nd September, 1964, with the later becoming the building used for weekly worship. In 1965 the nearby church of Monzievaird and Strowan was closed and the Comrie and Strowan Parish was formed.
Minister – Reverend Graham McWilliams
Current contact details for Comrie Parish Church
Comrie Session Clerk: Mr Murray Lauchlan, Tel: 01764 670605 or 07979530585 Email:email@example.com
Roll Keeper: Miss Judy McDowall Tel: 01764 670215 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Church Secretary [Tues & Fri am]: Mrs Linda Bennett, Tel: 01764 679555 Email: Strathearnemail@example.com
Treasurer: Mrs Pauline Booth, Tel:01764 670508, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Freewill Offering Convenor & Gift Aid Treasurer: Mr John Drysdale, Tel:01764 670162, Email: email@example.com
Flower Convenor: Miss Judy McDowell, Tel: 01764 670215, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Church Hall Bookings: Mrs Linda Bennett, Tel: 01764 679555 Email: Strathearnemail@example.com
Property Convenor: Mr William Youngman, Tel: 01567 670671, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Safeguarding Co-ordinator: Miss Mairi Philp, Tel: 01764 670570 Email: email@example.com
Outlook Editor: Mrs Margaret Sim, Tel: 01567 830257, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Life and Work’ Convenor: Mrs Helen Whitelaw, Tel: 01764 679761
Guild Contact: Mrs Anne Lawson, Tel: 01764 679180
Sunday Club: Mrs Lesley McWilliams, Tel: 01764 670076
Current contact details for Dundurn Parish Church
Minister: Reverend Graham McWilliams, The Manse, Strowan Road, Comrie. PH6 2ES
Tel: Vestry: 01764-670853, Office: 01764-679555, Manse: 01764-670076
Session Clerk: Mrs Elma Brierley, Tel: 01764 685427, Email: email@example.com
Treasurer: Mr Johnston Brown, Tel: 01764 685268
Flower Convenor: Mrs Catherine Moncrieff, Tel: 01764 685253
Property Convenor: Mr Jim Brierley, Tel: 01764 685427
‘Life and Work’ Convenor: Mrs Liz Cunningham, Tel: 01764 658383
Safeguarding Co-ordinator: Mrs Frances Brown, Tel: 01764 685268
Church Secretary [Tues & Fri am]: Mrs Linda Bennett, Tel: 01764 679555 Email: Strathearnfirstname.lastname@example.org
Comrie & Dundurn Parish Churches now on Social Networking Site Facebook.
Click this link to view up to date information and photographs: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Comrie-Dundurn-Parish-Churches/164412170267190
Sunday Morning Worship
Comrie: 10:00 am
Holy Communion is celebrated on the fourth Sundays of February, June & October
Comrie Allotments Association
Update April 2019
The Comrie Allotments Association was formed and formally constituted on 28th of August, 2008 and currently hold a lease with the Comrie Development Trust until the 31st March 2024.
A set of simple rules are in place and were drawn up under the initial guidance of the CDT and the agreement of the CAA, these are now reviewed and changed only by the Committee and the CAA members at the Annual General Meeting.
There are 41 plots, most are now half plots plus the “Comrie in Colour” Poly tunnel which is plot 31. Plots cost £44 for a 1/2 and £60 for a full plot
Despite the different weathers of the recent years, canny plot holders of Comrie have still managed to produce some plentiful crops of most kinds of vegetables.
Allotments becomes vacant on a regular basis, mainly due to people moving home, health reasons or occasionally just a loss of interest.
If you are a Comrie resident with a Comrie Post Code and wish to apply, you can join the waiting list which is operated on a strict rotation basis
Once successful you will be given a Welcome Pack and shown the facilities of the site. These include 5 stand pipes and hoses for watering your allotment on the occasions when it has not rained.
In hut 106 there is a mains toilet and wash hand basin with hot water, a kitchen with Kettle, Microwave, sink with hot water and tea or coffee also snacks to be paid with via the donations box (No milk for obvious reasons). Keys on sale from Eddie for £2
Join the Allotments Association Mailing List and receive news by email. To join the mailing list and receive the latest updates via email, please contact a member of the Committee below.
Fund raising is an important part of the Committee’s and plot holder’s requirement in order to keep rents down to as low as possible. When available, we try to have a produce day sale where we sell all excess produce to the village with the plot holders selling teas, coffee and cakes to the public from hut 107.
Helen Buchanan is currently working on opening hut 107 most weekends for light bite and refreshments.
We are currently hire out the huts for various occasions hut 106 for meeting/ parties and 107 has kitchen and toilet facilities as well as a small seating area.
However, our biggest (and hardest) event is providing teas/coffee and food for the runners and spectators of the Strathearn Harriers Marathon run, together with families and spectators. Our duties start at around 7.30am and finish between 3pm and 4pm,
For all enquiries email@example.com
Comrie Baby & Toddler Group meet at the White Church on Thursday mornings between 9.30am and 11.30am during school term time.
They encourage free play with lots of toys and often have a craft/messy play table and sing along – Tea & coffee with goodies for the parent/carers – (Please provide your own child snack) £1.50 per family –
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org for more info
We encourage free play with lots of toys and often have a craft/messy play table and sing song. Tea, coffee and biscuits for parents and carers.
Price is £1.50 per family.
Just pop in on a Thursday or for further information please don’t hesitate to send us a message.
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/comriebabyandtoddlergroup/
Comrie Cancer Club – Shop
7 Dunira Street
The charity shop sends thousands of pounds every month, year on year to many cancer charities across Scotland and is a testament to the stalwart voluntary staff who man the shop
Many Thanks to all the voluntary staff at the shop and for the people of Comrie and other areas for their continuing support.
Please note that the shop does NOT have a phone – Thank you
A short history of Comrie’s churches
After the reformation the parish of the minister of Tullichettle covered Comrie, Monzievaird, Crieff and Monzie. The Tullichettle church is now a ruin in the middle of the old burial ground.
In 1805 the parish church of the Church of Scotland was built, almost astride the confluence of Earn and Ruchill, incorporating the tower of an earlier church. In 1843 came the Disruption and in protest the Free Church was founded. For want of a building, services were held on Tom-na-kessog, a knoll between the public hall and the present Comrie and Strowan Parish Church.
The laying of the foundation stone in 1879In 1879 the foundation stone of the new Free Church was laid and in 1925 the two United Free Churches of Scotland were united. In 1929 the Established Church of Scotland and the United Free Church of Scotland were re-united and Comrie Parish Church was renamed Comrie Old Parish Church.
The merging of Comrie Old Parish Church and St Kessogs Parish Church took place with the latter becoming the building used for weekly worship. In 1965 the nearby church of Monzievaird and Strowan was closed and the Comrie and Strowan Parish was formed.
The United Prestbyterians met in a house just below Dalginross Bridge until 1862 when they moved to the Dr Wann Memorial Hall. This building had several uses after the church was closed, being for some time a furniture repository and eventually an auction house before being converted into a private house
The Scottish Episcopal Church was built in 1884 with Colonel David Williamson of Lawers being the main benefactor. In 1934 it was discovered that the church had been wrongly named St Serfs and, as it had been dedicated to St Fillan in 1884, it was renamed St Fillan, however reconstruction of the church in 1958 saw it re-named St Serfs.
In 1914 St Margarets Roman Catholic Church was founded by the Rev CDR Williamson, the only son of Colonel David Williamson of Lawers. Two cottages on the west bank of the Lednock were converted into the current beautiful little chapel.
Thanks for all the support for the last season, we will be putting the equipment away for the Summer, but will keep folk updated on our plans for September 2016.
The equipment is available for hire for £50.00 for private showings or parties.
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK
For all the lastest news, reviews and comments….join us at the link below:
Comrie Community Bus Trust
The Trust runs a non-profit making minibus hire for local organisations and local people – THE CoCo BUS.
The costs of hiring the CoCo Bus are:
up to 30 miles travel: £15
30 miles to 60 miles: £20
60 miles to 200 miles: £30
over 200miles: POA
In addition mileage is charged at 35p per mile.
Terms of Hire:
The driver must have a clean license.
The driver must have D1 on their license.
The driver must be over 25yrs old.
The hirer must take full responsibility for the bus and it’s passengers.
The hirer should return the bus in a clean internal condition otherwise a cleaning charge will be made.
Any accidents or incidents should be reported immediately to:Graham Rigby Treasurer – telephone 01764 679660.
The bus can be booked by ringing Diane Hunter – 01764 670322
You have to provide your own driver.
The bus has to be collected and returned to Lennoch Farm South Crieff Road Comrie, where drivers are able to leave their own vehicle.
Comrie Community Council is a local voluntary organisation representing the views of the local community to the local authority (Perth & Kinross Council) and other agencies supporting community activity across a wide range of issues of public interest.
All our Community Council meetings are open to the public. Minutes of our meetings are published here on the website and copies available from the Library or by contacting any of the Community Councillors. We hold public meetings in Comrie Community Centre (the White Church) at 7.30 p.m. on the first Thursday of each month, excluding July and August.
Check out our calendar for meeting updates.
Whilst we are there to ascertain, co-ordinate and express to our local authority along with other public bodies; the views of the community, we can also take such actions that are deemed to be in the interest of that community as appears to be practicable.
Comrie Community Orchard:
The Orchard was planted at Cultybraggan Camp in April 2011.
There are 40 varieties of apples, as well as plums, damsons, gages, Morello cherries, quinces, medlars, a few walnut trees and a small grove of hazels. There are soft fruits too – black currants, red currants, gooseberries, raspberries and blueberries. The orchard is surrounded by an edible hedge – elder, hawthorn, guelder rose, blackthorn, sea buckthorn, hazel etc.
The orchard, which is in the most beautiful setting, is for the enjoyment of everyone…. there are picnic tables set under the trees. There is a label on each tree with its name, rootstock and the year it was planted.
There is an Apple Day in October each year, when there’s the opportunity to taste and buy many of the varieties and to purchase some delicious fresh or pasteurised apple juice.
The Orchard is cared for and maintained by a group of dedicated volunteers – the Orchard Working Group – and a work party meets on the first Sunday of each month – summer and winter – whatever the weather ….. 11 am to 3 pm. Volunteers and visitors very welcome.
For up to date information go to Facebook – Comrie Community Orchard