A short history of Comrie’s churches
After the reformation the parish of the minister of Tullichettle covered Comrie, Monzievaird, Crieff and Monzie. The Tullichettle church is now a ruin in the middle of the old burial ground.
In 1805 the parish church of the Church of Scotland was built, almost astride the confluence of Earn and Ruchill, incorporating the tower of an earlier church. In 1843 came the Disruption and in protest the Free Church was founded. For want of a building, services were held on Tom-na-kessog, a knoll between the public hall and the present Comrie and Strowan Parish Church.
The laying of the foundation stone in 1879In 1879 the foundation stone of the new Free Church was laid and in 1925 the two United Free Churches of Scotland were united. In 1929 the Established Church of Scotland and the United Free Church of Scotland were re-united and Comrie Parish Church was renamed Comrie Old Parish Church.
The merging of Comrie Old Parish Church and St Kessogs Parish Church took place with the latter becoming the building used for weekly worship. In 1965 the nearby church of Monzievaird and Strowan was closed and the Comrie and Strowan Parish was formed.
The United Prestbyterians met in a house just below Dalginross Bridge until 1862 when they moved to the Dr Wann Memorial Hall. This building had several uses after the church was closed, being for some time a furniture repository and eventually an auction house before being converted into a private house
The Scottish Episcopal Church was built in 1884 with Colonel David Williamson of Lawers being the main benefactor. In 1934 it was discovered that the church had been wrongly named St Serfs and, as it had been dedicated to St Fillan in 1884, it was renamed St Fillan, however reconstruction of the church in 1958 saw it re-named St Serfs.
In 1914 St Margarets Roman Catholic Church was founded by the Rev CDR Williamson, the only son of Colonel David Williamson of Lawers. Two cottages on the west bank of the Lednock were converted into the current beautiful little chapel.
Thanks for all the support for the last season, we will be putting the equipment away for the Summer, but will keep folk updated on our plans for September 2016.
The equipment is available for hire for £50.00 for private showings or parties.
JOIN US ON FACEBOOK
For all the lastest news, reviews and comments….join us at the link below:
Comrie Community Bus Trust
The Trust runs a non-profit making minibus hire for local organisations and local people – THE CoCo BUS.
Due to the current COVID situation the bus is not currently in use. The information will be updated soon.
Comrie Community Council is a local voluntary organisation representing the views of the local community to the local authority (Perth & Kinross Council) and other agencies supporting community activity across a wide range of issues of public interest.
All our Community Council meetings are open to the public. Minutes of our meetings are published here on the website and copies available from the Library or by contacting any of the Community Councillors. We hold public meetings in Comrie Community Centre (the White Church) at 7.30 p.m. on the first Thursday of each month, excluding July and August.
Check out our calendar for meeting updates.
Whilst we are there to ascertain, co-ordinate and express to our local authority along with other public bodies; the views of the community, we can also take such actions that are deemed to be in the interest of that community as appears to be practicable.
Comrie Community Orchard:
The Orchard was planted at Cultybraggan Camp in April 2011.
There are 40 varieties of apples, as well as plums, damsons, gages, Morello cherries, quinces, medlars, a few walnut trees and a small grove of hazels. There are soft fruits too – black currants, red currants, gooseberries, raspberries and blueberries. The orchard is surrounded by an edible hedge – elder, hawthorn, guelder rose, blackthorn, sea buckthorn, hazel etc.
The orchard, which is in the most beautiful setting, is for the enjoyment of everyone…. there are picnic tables set under the trees. There is a label on each tree with its name, rootstock and the year it was planted.
There is an Apple Day in October each year, when there’s the opportunity to taste and buy many of the varieties and to purchase some delicious fresh or pasteurised apple juice.
The Orchard is cared for and maintained by a group of dedicated volunteers – the Orchard Working Group – and a work party meets on the first Sunday of each month – summer and winter – whatever the weather ….. 11 am to 3 pm. Volunteers and visitors very welcome.
For up to date information go to Facebook – Comrie Community Orchard