Churches

Church of Scotland

Parish Churches of Comrie and Dundurn – Church of Scotland
We seek to follow Jesus Christ to share the Gospel and to bring the knowledge of God’s love to all.

These pages are designed to provide parishioners and visitors alike with information on our church. It will provide information on who to contact, church services, events and notices.

In 1879 the foundation stone of the new Free Church was laid and in 1925 the two United Free Churches of Scotland were united. In 1929 the Established Church of Scotland and the United Free Church of Scotland were re-united and Comrie Parish Church was renamed Comrie Old Parish Church.

The merging of Comrie Old Parish Church and St Kessogs Parish Church took place on 2nd September, 1964, with the later becoming the building used for weekly worship. In 1965 the nearby church of Monzievaird and Strowan was closed and the Comrie and Strowan Parish was formed.

Minister – Reverend Graham McWilliams
The Manse
Strowan Road
Comrie
PH6 2ES
Vestry: 01764-670853
Office: 01764-679555
Manse: 01764-670076
Email: gmcwilliams@churchofscotland.org.uk
Current contact details for Comrie Parish Church

Comrie Session Clerk: Mr Murray Lauchlan, Tel: 01764 670605 or 07979530585 Email:sessionclerkcpc@aol.com
Roll Keeper: Miss Judy McDowall Tel: 01764 670215 Email: judy@crossloan.demon.co.uk
Church Secretary [Tues & Fri am]: Mrs Linda Bennett, Tel: 01764 679555 Email: Strathearn-kirks@btconnect.com

Treasurer: Mrs Pauline Booth, Tel:01764 670508, Email: pboth15@btinternet.com

Freewill Offering Convenor & Gift Aid Treasurer: Mr John Drysdale, Tel:01764 670162, Email: jmacid@btinternet.com

Flower Convenor: Miss Judy McDowell, Tel: 01764 670215, Email: judy@crossloan.demon.co.uk

Church Hall Bookings: Mrs Linda Bennett, Tel: 01764 679555 Email: Strathearn-kirks@btconnect.com

Property Convenor: Mr William Youngman, Tel: 01567 670671, Email: wby1954@gmail.com

Safeguarding Co-ordinator: Miss Mairi Philp, Tel: 01764 670570 Email: mairiphilp@tiscali.co.uk

Outlook Editor: Mrs Margaret Sim, Tel: 01567 830257, Email: sim-lochearn@supanet.com
Life and Work’ Convenor: Mrs Helen Whitelaw, Tel: 01764 679761
Guild Contact: Mrs Anne Lawson, Tel: 01764 679180
Sunday Club: Mrs Lesley McWilliams, Tel: 01764 670076

Current contact details for Dundurn Parish Church

Minister: Reverend Graham McWilliams, The Manse, Strowan Road, Comrie. PH6 2ES
Tel: Vestry: 01764-670853, Office: 01764-679555, Manse: 01764-670076
Email: gmcwilliams@churchofscotland.org.uk

Session Clerk: Mrs Elma Brierley, Tel: 01764 685427,  Email: jandel@fillans.wanadoo.co.uk
Treasurer: Mr Johnston Brown,  Tel: 01764 685268
Flower Convenor: Mrs Catherine Moncrieff, Tel: 01764 685253
Property Convenor: Mr Jim Brierley, Tel: 01764 685427
‘Life and Work’ Convenor: Mrs Liz Cunningham,  Tel: 01764 658383
Safeguarding Co-ordinator: Mrs Frances Brown, Tel: 01764 685268
Church Secretary [Tues & Fri am]: Mrs Linda Bennett, Tel: 01764 679555 Email: Strathearn-kirks@btconnect.com

Comrie & Dundurn Parish Churches now on Social Networking Site Facebook. 
Click this link to view up to date information and photographs: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Comrie-Dundurn-Parish-Churches/164412170267190
Sunday Morning Worship
Comrie: 10:00 am
Dundurn: 11.30am
Holy Communion is celebrated on the fourth Sundays of February, June & October

Comrie Churches

A short history of Comrie’s churches
After the reformation the parish of the minister of Tullichettle covered Comrie, Monzievaird, Crieff and Monzie. The Tullichettle church is now a ruin in the middle of the old burial ground.

In 1805 the parish church of the Church of Scotland was built, almost astride the confluence of Earn and Ruchill, incorporating the tower of an earlier church. In 1843 came the Disruption and in protest the Free Church was founded. For want of a building, services were held on Tom-na-kessog, a knoll between the public hall and the present Comrie and Strowan Parish Church.

The laying of the foundation stone in 1879In 1879 the foundation stone of the new Free Church was laid and in 1925 the two United Free Churches of Scotland were united. In 1929 the Established Church of Scotland and the United Free Church of Scotland were re-united and Comrie Parish Church was renamed Comrie Old Parish Church.

The merging of Comrie Old Parish Church and St Kessogs Parish Church took place with the latter becoming the building used for weekly worship. In 1965 the nearby church of Monzievaird and Strowan was closed and the Comrie and Strowan Parish was formed.

The United Prestbyterians met in a house just below Dalginross Bridge until 1862 when they moved to the Dr Wann Memorial Hall. This building had several uses after the church was closed, being for some time a furniture repository and eventually an auction house before being converted into a private house

The Scottish Episcopal Church was built in 1884 with Colonel David Williamson of Lawers being the main benefactor. In 1934 it was discovered that the church had been wrongly named St Serfs and, as it had been dedicated to St Fillan in 1884, it was renamed St Fillan, however reconstruction of the church in 1958 saw it re-named St Serfs.

In 1914 St Margarets Roman Catholic Church was founded by the Rev CDR Williamson, the only son of Colonel David Williamson of Lawers. Two cottages on the west bank of the Lednock were converted into the current beautiful little chapel.