RoSPA ,the Child Accident Prevention Trust and others are worried about increasing reports of injuries from swallowing magnets, particularly among children and young people.

High-powered magnets in products such as building toys, building blocks, jewellery beads and fake tongue piercings can cause serious injuries and are potentially life-threatening.

There is a particular problem with super strong magnets bought from overseas sellers on online marketplaces, where safety standards may be lower.

We advise parents and carers to keep these products away from children and to understand the signs of swallowing magnets, such as stomach pain, vomiting and fever.
If you think your child has swallowed these magnets, take them to A&E straight away or dial 999.

Further information and advice is available on the following links

Message Sent By
Willie Clark (NHWN, National Co – ordinator, Neighbourhood Watch Scotland)